Nate Marquardt Drops Down To Welterweight, Faces Anthony Johnson in UFC on Versus 4 Main Event

Well, here’s why Anthony Johnson isn’t fighting his heated rival John Howard next. It turns out he has much bigger fish to fry, figuratively and literally. The UFC announced this evening that Nate Marquardt is dropping down to welterweight to make a run at the title and Johnson is his first opponent. Verbal agreements are [...]

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/mmaconvert/~3/9SlHyBJom94/

David Bielkheden Michael Bisping Dan Bobish Vagam Bodjukyan

Silva set for showdown with Okami in Rio

USA Today reports that Yushin Okami will get his title shot against UFC middleweight Anderson Silva in Rio. The title fight will main event the much-anticipated event in Brazil in August. Via USA Today: Oddsmakers will favor Silva, but Okami employs a wrestling-based grinder’s approach, which has been the champion’s achilles heel in the past. [...]

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Payout/~3/PwSAJ3omOEI/

Wagnney Fabiano Kevin Kimbo Slice Ferguson Paulo Filho Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic

UFC on Versus 4 official for Pittsburgh's Consol Energy Center on June 26

LogoVS_150_16.jpg

The city of Pittsburgh will get their first UFC event ever on June 26, as the UFC today confirmed that they will be running their UFC on Versus 4 event from the city's Consol Energy Center.

It will be only the second event the UFC has run in the state of Pennsylvania, having previously brought UFC 101 to the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. That card, headlined by B.J. Penn's UFC Lightweight Title victory over Kenny Florian and featuring Anderson Silva's matrix-like destruction of Forrest Griffin, brought in over 17,000 fans and a little over $3.5 million at the gate.

The Consol Energy Center, host of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins, is a brand-new 19,000 seat venue in the city that opened just prior to the start of the 2010-2011 NHL season last August.

The UFC has not booked a headlining fight for the event as of yet, but four bouts have been confirmed. Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo, Rich Attonito vs. Matt Brown, Manny Gamburyan vs. Tyson Griffin and Joe Stevenson vs. Javier Vazquez will all take place on the card, with Griffin and Stevenson each making their featherweight debuts in their respective bouts.

The UFC has run three previous events on the Versus network, with now UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones headlining two in 2010 and the most recent taking place last month, when Diego Sanchez edged out Martin Kampmann by split decision in Louisville, Ky.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_8988.shtml

Vagam Bodjukyan Kotetsu Boku Tony Bonello Stephan Bonnar

Daley interview: Diaz has no idea of the power punching coming his way

Nick Diaz has been unbeatable since 2007. He's badly outclassed some pretty solid fighter with his combination of volume striking and cardio. Paul Daley thinks he has the Diaz antidote - dynamite in his fists.

Daley challenges for Diaz's Strikeforce welterweight title, looking looks to put an end to the Californian's nine-fight win streak (Showtime 10 p.m. ET/PT). He'll do so by testing Diaz's ability to take a punch.

"Has he got an iron chin? We're going to see," Daley told Cagewriter.com (3:57 mark). "He's been dropped in numerous fights against 155ers. I always say to people 'you gotta get hit by me to realize it's a whole different ballgame.' I think Nick Diaz is going to have that same experience."

Daley (27-9-2) says all the training in the world can't effectively prepare you for his power.

"He's probably sparring with big, heavy guys who hit hard, but it's completely different when you're actually in there," said Daley, who's got 20 knockouts on his ledger. "And I've seen the look in people's eyes and the reaction on their faces when I land a shot. I don't know what i've got, but it certainly makes people scared."

Daley respects what Diaz has done, but questions the level of his opponents during the win streak.

"I don't think he's fought anyone that I wouldn't have beat. I think I would have beat any of those opponents, and with more ease," said Daley."

The exciting part for Daley is that Diaz isn't afraid of him and is probably going to fight to the Brit's strength instead of taking the fight to the ground.

"Initially people were hating on Nick Diaz for his pitter, pat style, but I've always been an admirer of his style, probably since the Gomi fight," Daley said. "He has a fantastic boxing pedigree and he trains with some good guys. He's a good fighter. He fights everywhere [and] I'm not just blowing smoke up his ass."

Daley expects a stand-up war.

"As a fighter myself, I'm excited to be in a fight like this," Daley said. "I hope that the Zuffa money is gonna come over and they're dishing out some of them Fight of the Night bonuses. I think that this could be it."

Strikeforce has never handed out public post-fight bonuses. Three weeks ago, the UFC purchased the promotion. This will be the first official "Strikeforce" event fought under Zuffa management. The UFC has traditionally handed out bonuses between $10,000-$100,000 for Fight of the Night, Submission of the Night and Knockout of the Night. Daley got a UFC bonus of $50,000 for his KO of Dustin Hazelett at UFC 108.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Daley-interview-Diaz-has-no-idea-of-the-power-p?urn=mma-wp1000

Masakatsu Funaki Zelg Benkei Galesic Mauro Galvao Mixed Martial Arts News

TUF 12 runner-up Michael Johnson to face Edward Faaloloto at UFC on Versus 4 in June

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

LogoVS_150_18.jpg

Ultimate Fighter 12 runner-up Michael Johnson will get his first fight in the UFC at the UFC on Versus 4 card in June, as the organization announced on Monday that he will meet WEC vet and UFC newcomer Edward Faaloloto on the card.

The 24-year-old Johnson brings an 8-5 record into his second appearance in the Octagon. A member of Georges St. Pierre's team on TUF 12, Johnson defeated Pablo Garza, Aaron Wilkinson, Alex "Bruce Leroy" Cacares and Nam Phan to make it to the finals. However, Johnson was defeated by Jonathan Brookins in the finals of the season 12 lightweight tournament in December.

Faaloloto took on Anthony Njokuani at WEC 52 in his first appearance under the Zuffa banner, suffering his first defeat in the fight. After winning his first two career fights, Faaloloto gave a valiant effort against Njokuani, but was overwhelmed late in the second round and finished off with only seconds left in the round.

UFC on Versus 4 takes place from Pittsburgh's Consol Energy Center on June 26, and also features Tyson Griffin vs. Manny Gamburyan, Joe Stevenson vs. Javier Vasquez, Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo and Matt Brown vs. Rich Attonito.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_9034.shtml

Matt Wiman Travis Wiuff Wu Haotian Rani Yahya

Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara Finally Happening at UFC 133

by Michael David SmithJorge RiveraThe much-delayed fight between Jorge Rivera and Alessio Sakara is finally going to happen at UFC 133.

"Better late than never, verbal agreements are in for what should be an action-packed match between Alessio Sakara and Jorge Rivera at UFC 133," UFC President Dana White said in the promotion's announcement.

UFC 133 hasn't been formally announced, but it's expected to take place on August 6 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/12/jorge-rivera-vs-alessio-sakara-finally-happening-at-ufc-133/

Dean Amasinger Jimmy Ambriz Matt Andersen Alex Andrade

Going to work, MMA fighter gunned down at U.S.-Mexico border

It can happen anytime to anyone. Safety issues in Mexico reached the border between Tijuana and San Ysidro, Calif., as MMA fighter Sergio Salcido Luna and another man were gunned down in their car while waiting in line to cross into the U.S. early Monday morning.

Salcido, 25, and Kevin Joel Romero, 28, were American citizens who worked at West Coast Beverage Maintenance, a San Diego-based company that services draft beer equipment. They were shot dead in a company truck at 2:40 a.m. PT by an assailant using a 9 MM weapon. The men, both U.S. citizens who lived in Playas de Tijuana, were shot in the head, chest and arms.

Salcido was an MMA welterweight who was 4-5 in his young career. His recent losses included former "The Ultimate Fighter 12" contestant Sako Chivitchian.

The San Diego Union-Tribune called the border shooting "rare."

Shootings in the border crossing lanes are extremely rare. In January 2002, a Mexican soldier sprayed bullets into cars waiting in line on the Mexican side of the Otay Mesa border crossing, wounding three people. In April 1995, a stray bullet from a police shootout hit an innocent Mexican motorist in the head as he was waiting in line to cross into the United States, killing him instantly.

Initial reports said the murders may have been drug related.  Attorney General Rommel Moreno Manjarrez told reporters one of the victims had a "small packet of drugs among his belongings."

"They were good guys," [Matt] Pelot [the victims' employer] said. "I don't think they were dealing drugs, selling drugs or anything to do with drugs. They were both very hardworking individuals. They had a zest for life."

After testing the substance in the bag and saying it was not marijuana, the authorities have since ruled out that murder was a result of drug-related violence.

"There is another line of investigation that is very strong," said Jorge Alberto Aguirre Carbajal, coordinator for the homicide unit of the Baja California Attorney General's Office in Tijuana.

Aguirre said that he could not discuss specifics because of the ongoing investigation. He also said authorities have been interviewing family members and friends of the two victims.

The timing of this tragedy is also significant with an MMA event, Strikeforce, in nearby San Diego on Saturday. Any fans from out of town who were thinking of a quick trip to Tijuana may be dissuaded.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Going-to-work-MMA-fighter-gunned-down-at-U-S-M?urn=mma-wp966

Tim Sylvia Randy Couture Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira Brock Lesnar

Exclusive pictures from Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley

Check out our exclusive photo gallery from Tracy Lee, including a very bloody Keith Jardine, an emotional Shinya Aoki, UFC executives at Strikeforce, and dogs and cats living together in harmony.*

*No dogs or cats are pictured in this gallery. Everyone knows dogs are better, anyway.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Exclusive-pictures-from-Strikeforce-Diaz-vs-Da?urn=mma-wp1134

Mac Danzig Karen Darabedyan Viacheslav Datsik Marcus Davis

Bellator 40 Picks And Predictions

We?re now also only a few days away from Bellator 40. On the same day that Strikeforce holds its ?Diaz vs. Daley? event, Bellator will be celebrating forty events with three big fights. In the main event, Bellator Welterweight Champion Ben Askren takes on grizzled veteran Nick Thompson in a non-title bout. The co-main event [...]

Source: http://www.fighters.com/04/05/bellator-40-picks-and-predictions

Wes Soldier Combs Ray Cooper Kit Cope Wesley Cabbage Correira